U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) voted against confirmation of former Sen. Chuck Hagel as defense secretary.
Alexander says, "I consider Chuck Hagel a patriot, but he is not the right person to lead the world's largest military organization in these dangerous times."
Alexander was one of 41 Republicans who opposed Hagel's nomination. Four Republicans joined Democrats... giving Hagel 58 votes to win confirmation. Republicans opposed Hagel, claiming he was out of the mainstream and questioned his support of Israel. Hagel is a twice-wounded Vietnam combat veteran. Democrats supported President Obama's choice.
Hagel will succeed defense secretary Leon Panetta.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson