ABINGDON, Va. - A teenager drowned at South Holston Lake on June 20.
It happened just before 9 p.m. Thursday near Ahoy Lane and Aven's Bridge. Sheriff Fred Newman tells us a group of teenagers were swimming when a 15-year-old boy went under and never resurfaced.
We're told several crews were on the scene looking for the body.
Sheriff Newman says his body found about 90 minutes later about seven feet from the dock. We're told his body will be sent off the the State Examiner's office in Roanoke, Virginia for an autopsy.
We'll bring you more details as they become available to us.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson