ABINGDON, Va. - A teenager drowned at South Holston Lake on June 20.
It happened just before 9 p.m. Thursday near Ahoy Lane and Aven's Bridge. Sheriff Fred Newman tells us a group of teenagers were swimming when a 15-year-old boy went under and never resurfaced.
We're told several crews were on the scene looking for the body.
Sheriff Newman says his body found about 90 minutes later about seven feet from the dock. We're told his body will be sent off the the State Examiner's office in Roanoke, Virginia for an autopsy.
We'll bring you more details as they become available to us.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect