ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A 13-year-old is now facing homicide charges after authorities say the toddler was shot in the head with a BB gun.
News 5 WCYB learned the district attorney's office made the decision to file a petition with Juvenile court for reckless homicide charges against the teen who was supposed to be watching the child and his 10-year-old brother.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes says an autopsy revealed four-year-old Coty Cox died from a single BB gun shot to the head.
The child's mother told officers she had gone to the store and says she was only gone for a short time.
Sheriff Chris Mathes released more information during an afternoon press release on Wednesday.
- Updated Update on Proposed Methadone Clinic for Gray
- Washington County, Virginia man charged with rape of child
- EPA, USDA announces initiative to help bring broadband service to Erwin
- Previously missing Russell County woman found unharmed in Georgia
- Major decision expected Wednesday in relation to proposed Gray methadone clinic