ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A 13-year-old is now facing homicide charges after authorities say the toddler was shot in the head with a BB gun.
News 5 WCYB learned the district attorney's office made the decision to file a petition with Juvenile court for reckless homicide charges against the teen who was supposed to be watching the child and his 10-year-old brother.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes says an autopsy revealed four-year-old Coty Cox died from a single BB gun shot to the head.
The child's mother told officers she had gone to the store and says she was only gone for a short time.
Sheriff Chris Mathes released more information during an afternoon press release on Wednesday.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment