ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A 13-year-old is now facing homicide charges after authorities say the toddler was shot in the head with a BB gun.
News 5 WCYB learned the district attorney's office made the decision to file a petition with Juvenile court for reckless homicide charges against the teen who was supposed to be watching the child and his 10-year-old brother.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes says an autopsy revealed four-year-old Coty Cox died from a single BB gun shot to the head.
The child's mother told officers she had gone to the store and says she was only gone for a short time.
Sheriff Chris Mathes released more information during an afternoon press release on Wednesday.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City