TAZEWELL COUNTY, VA - A Tazewell County, Virginia woman is facing charges after police say she embezzled money from the public school system.
Willie Kathy Hicks, also known as Kathy Keene, has been indicted on 15 counts of embezzlement, and one count of money laundering.
Virginia State Police tell us Hicks is accused of taking thousands of dollars per year in funds intended for the school and school-related events. Police says Hicks then deposited those funds into her personal account.
Hicks was an employee with the school system, but has since retired.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane