TAZEWELL COUNTY, VA - A Tazewell County, Virginia woman is facing charges after police say she embezzled money from the public school system.
Willie Kathy Hicks, also known as Kathy Keene, has been indicted on 15 counts of embezzlement, and one count of money laundering.
Virginia State Police tell us Hicks is accused of taking thousands of dollars per year in funds intended for the school and school-related events. Police says Hicks then deposited those funds into her personal account.
Hicks was an employee with the school system, but has since retired.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Updated Umpire at Little League World Series is from Abindgon
- Updated Take a two-day train excursion through West Virginia
- Updated Workforce development grant providing students training opportunities
- Local kids get an educational tour of the Appalachian Fair
- Lee County man sentenced to 13 years for sexual assault against minor