SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - Sullivan County paid their respects to their fallen officers Friday.
Since 1907, nine of their officers have lost their lives in the line of duty. A wreath was laid in their honor along with a 21-gun salute.
Peggy Lane's husband Sgt. Arthur Lane died on duty in 1981. Lane says services like this help to keep his memory alive in the community more than 30 years later.
"I know a lot of our people still come up when I go to the grocery store and say your husband did this or that, or helped my son," she said. "It means a lot."
According to the sheriff's department, last year in the United States 166 police officers died in the line of duty. 37 have already been killed this year.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day