SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - The interim Sullivan County Highway Commissioner has informed the county he plans to retire amid an investigation into his department.
We've learned Terry Shaffer will retire officially on December 23.
News 5 WCYB confirmed the department is currently under a TBI investigation.
District attorney general Barry Staubus would not comment on the exact nature of the investigation, but did tell News 5 it deals with irregularities within the highway department.
Shaffer was appointed as interim commissioner by Sullivan County Mayor Steve Godsey in February 2011 following conviction of then highway commissioner Alan Pope on official misconduct charges.
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets