SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - The interim Sullivan County Highway Commissioner has informed the county he plans to retire amid an investigation into his department.
We've learned Terry Shaffer will retire officially on December 23.
News 5 WCYB confirmed the department is currently under a TBI investigation.
District attorney general Barry Staubus would not comment on the exact nature of the investigation, but did tell News 5 it deals with irregularities within the highway department.
Shaffer was appointed as interim commissioner by Sullivan County Mayor Steve Godsey in February 2011 following conviction of then highway commissioner Alan Pope on official misconduct charges.
- Kingsport police searching for five sex offenders
- Updated Endangered Child Alert issued for 13-year-old girl
- Updated Volvo recalls 44K vehicles; leak can cause air bag problem
- New Fundraiser and concert to be held for John Battle coach who has brain cancer
- Updated UPDATE: Elizabethon police identify suspect in credit card theft case