SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - The interim Sullivan County Highway Commissioner has informed the county he plans to retire amid an investigation into his department.
We've learned Terry Shaffer will retire officially on December 23.
News 5 WCYB confirmed the department is currently under a TBI investigation.
District attorney general Barry Staubus would not comment on the exact nature of the investigation, but did tell News 5 it deals with irregularities within the highway department.
Shaffer was appointed as interim commissioner by Sullivan County Mayor Steve Godsey in February 2011 following conviction of then highway commissioner Alan Pope on official misconduct charges.
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day
- Wanted man leads officers on multiple-state chase