SULLIVAN COUNTY, Tenn. - The interim Sullivan County Highway Commissioner has informed the county he plans to retire amid an investigation into his department.
We've learned Terry Shaffer will retire officially on December 23.
News 5 WCYB confirmed the department is currently under a TBI investigation.
District attorney general Barry Staubus would not comment on the exact nature of the investigation, but did tell News 5 it deals with irregularities within the highway department.
Shaffer was appointed as interim commissioner by Sullivan County Mayor Steve Godsey in February 2011 following conviction of then highway commissioner Alan Pope on official misconduct charges.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport