ABINGDON, Va. - Virginia schools and businesses participated in a statewide tornado drill at 9:45 a.m. on Tuesday.
The principal at Abingdon Elementary School said severe weather, especially this time of year, makes many people in the school nervous since southwest Virginia was hit by a tornado in April 2011.
Coming up on News 5 WCYB tonight, hear from students and staff about preparing and practicing for tornado after living through one two years ago.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash