BRISTOL, Tenn. - There's still eleven weeks until Christmas, but one organization is getting a head start.
Operation Christmas Child is the world's largest Christmas project of its kind, and this year's project is underway.
Volunteers donate items to fill up shoe boxes to send to children in more than 100 countries around the world.
This year's goal is to collect nine million boxes, with 15,000 coming from the Tri-Cities.
Bristol Motor Speedway is one of 32,000 locations where donors can drop off shoe boxes packed with toys, school supplies and necessity items.
Shoe boxes are being collected through November 19.
For more information on supplies to put in the boxes and drop off locations go to www.samaritanspurse.org.
- Pastor's wife charged with embezzling from church in Kingsport
- Four charged in Church Hill home invasion case
- FTC, Wellmont and MSHA speak in front of SWVa. Health Authority
- VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway
- Chelsea Clinton garnering young voters at Appalachian State University