ABINGDON, Va. - A southwest Virginia man is accused of trying to kill a woman in Abingdon.
Jonathan O'Neil Hess, 24, is charged with Attempted First Degree Murder.
Abingdon police say the 41-year-old victim reported being attacked Saturday morning.
The alleged incident happened in the 900 block of Hillman Highway.
The victim says she was choked to the point of blacking out, and her alleged attacker kicked her in the ribs and stomped on her ankle.
The victim was transported to the hospital where she was treated for her injuries and released.
Based upon the statement provided, as well as physical evidence obtained at the scene, officers identified the suspect as Jonathan O'Neil Hess.
Police say the woman and Hess knew each other.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport