ABINGDON, Va. - A southwest Virginia man is accused of trying to kill a woman in Abingdon.
Jonathan O'Neil Hess, 24, is charged with Attempted First Degree Murder.
Abingdon police say the 41-year-old victim reported being attacked Saturday morning.
The alleged incident happened in the 900 block of Hillman Highway.
The victim says she was choked to the point of blacking out, and her alleged attacker kicked her in the ribs and stomped on her ankle.
The victim was transported to the hospital where she was treated for her injuries and released.
Based upon the statement provided, as well as physical evidence obtained at the scene, officers identified the suspect as Jonathan O'Neil Hess.
Police say the woman and Hess knew each other.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin