ABINGDON, Va. - A southwest Virginia man is accused of trying to kill a woman in Abingdon.
Jonathan O'Neil Hess, 24, is charged with Attempted First Degree Murder.
Abingdon police say the 41-year-old victim reported being attacked Saturday morning.
The alleged incident happened in the 900 block of Hillman Highway.
The victim says she was choked to the point of blacking out, and her alleged attacker kicked her in the ribs and stomped on her ankle.
The victim was transported to the hospital where she was treated for her injuries and released.
Based upon the statement provided, as well as physical evidence obtained at the scene, officers identified the suspect as Jonathan O'Neil Hess.
Police say the woman and Hess knew each other.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting