Sheriff: Suspects Ran Over Deputy During Chase

Washington County, TN Deputy Gary Daugherty Hospitalized

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. - A Washington County, Tennessee sheriff's deputy is in the hospital after officers say he was run over by a car involved in a high speed chase.

"It threw him up high over the car," said Lowell Stout.

Lowell Stout was driving along Highway 81 South Monday morning he says he say a car run over Deputy Gary Daugherty.

"It was a Chevy Cavalier so it hit lower extremities, but he went over the vehicle," said Sergeant Lee Cross.

The chase started when Sergeant Lee Cross spotted the car, believed to be tied to an armed robbery at this home on sand valley road just after 11:00 AM Monday morning.

"A black man knocked on the door, homeowner let him in and he pulled a gun," said Sergeant Lee Cross.

Deputies say the robber demanded cash and drugs, but then left the home.

Sergeant Cross spotted the car amount a mile down the road and the chase was on reaching speeds between 60 and 70 miles per hour.

Deputy Daugherty was placing spike strips in the middle of Highway 81 when they say the suspects veered off the road.

"He seen the vehicle swerve toward him, he stated to run out of the way, but with the momentum he couldn't get out of the way," said Sergeant Lee Cross.

The suspects didn't stop until they crashed two more miles down the road.

All three people in the car got out and ran.

Back at the crash site, Lowell Stout jumped out his truck and rushed to help the injured deputy Daugherty.

"I took a comforter out of my truck and covered him up, that comforted him a little bit," said Lowell Stout.

Deputy Daugherty was rushed from the scene to the Johnson City Medical Center; officers say he was alert and talking on the scene.

We've learned he's been with the department for eight years and typically works patrol on that end of the county.

Sheriff Ed Graybeal told News Five Daugherty suffered several broken bones and head injuries.

He underwent surgery Monday afternoon.

Authorities say all three suspects were arrested a short distance away after being tracked down by a police dog.

18-year-old Dalvin Jashauntelynn Stephens from Johnson City is charged with attempted 1st degree murder and robbery.

41-year-old Reginald Dewayne Smith and Anshley Nichole McGraw face robbery and evading arrest.

Deputies estimate the car was traveling between 30 and 40 miles per hour when it hit Deputy Daugherty.

Most Popular