A crowd gathered in Abingdon on Sunday to honor fallen heroes and veterans.
Families joined the Abingdon Fire Department for hamburgers and hot dogs.
It gave veterans, like Francine Ivery,the chance to pass along just how much our freedom has cost.
"It does give us an opportunity when young people are here to talk to them and, actually, they are curious and want to know about different things about the service and so forth," said Ivery. "It does give us the chance to exchange and get to know each other."
We're told they expected a crowd of about 350 people.
The free event was sponsored by the the Veterans Memorial Park Foundation
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone