LEBANON, Va -

Residents at Hummingbird Retirement Villa had to evacuate after a grease fire ignited in the kitchen.

Russell County Management Coordinator, Jess Powers, said the fire happened at 5:48 p.m on Aug. 18.

A grease fire ignited in the kitchen causing 24 Residents and one staff member with an injury to be transported to the hospital for sheltering and medical assessments. 

The sprinkler system activated and extinguished the kitchen fire.

Residents of the villa are being sheltered in an unoccupied floor of the Russell County Medical Center until the assisted living facility is checked, smoke cleared, facility cleaned and/or repaired, and then readied for re-occupation.

Lebanon Volunteer Fire Department is assessing the damage to the facility.