West Virginia's capital is hosting a symposium on research on energy production and the environment.
The symposium in Charleston begins Monday and runs through Thursday. It's sponsored by the Appalachian Research Initiative for Environmental Science in cooperation with the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration.
The research initiative, called ARIES, says new research findings will be released during the symposium.
ARIES is a consortium of universities led by Virginia Tech, with financial support from the mining industry. West Virginia and Marshall universities also are participating in the initiative.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport