Bristol, Tenn. - Wellmont Health System's Marsh Regional Blood Center will conduct public blood drives in the coming days.
The hospital says as many as three lives may be saved each time a person donates blood. They also say an individual's blood donation to Marsh Regional stays local to help people in this region. Marsh Regional supplies blood to 22 healthcare facilities in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
Donors with an O-negative blood type are particularly welcome, as their blood can be used for any patient.
To donate blood, the hospital says individuals must be at least 17 years old, weigh 110 pounds or more and be in good health. People with a cold, sore throat, fever, flu or fever blisters or who are taking antibiotics may not donate. Donors should eat a balanced meal before giving blood.
Here's a list of the organizations taking part in the blood drive:
· Monday, April 15, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Honaker High School, Honaker, Va.
· Tuesday, April 16, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Bristol Metals, Bristol
· Tuesday, April 16, 9-11:30 a.m., City Hall, Rogersville
· Tuesday, April 16, 12:30-3 p.m., Hawkins County Memorial Hospital, Rogersville
· Tuesday, April 16, 1-4 p.m., Friendship Ford, Bristol
· Wednesday, April 17, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Johnson City Medical Center, Johnson City
· Wednesday, April 17, 1-6 p.m., Masonic Lodge, No. 318, Richlands, Va.
· Wednesday, April 17, 2:30-7 p.m., St. Anne's Catholic Church, Bristol, Va.
· Thursday, April 18, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Morgan McClure Chevrolet GMC, Castlewood, Va.
· Thursday, April 18, noon-6 p.m., Sycamore Shoals Hospital, Elizabethton
· Thursday, April 18, 3-6 p.m., Food City, St. Paul, Va.
· Thursday, April 18, 4-7:30 p.m., South Holston Ruritan Club, Bristol
· Friday, April 19, 7:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Sullivan North High School, Kingsport
· Friday, April 19, 8 a.m.-noon, Phil Bachman Honda, Kingsport
· Friday, April 19, 8:30-10:30 a.m., Settlers Life Insurance, Bristol, Va.
In addition to scheduled blood drives, donors are welcome at any of Marsh Regional's collection centers: 102 E. Ravine Road, Kingsport; 1996 W. State St., Bristol; and 1 Professional Park Blvd., Suite 14, Johnson City.
For more information about scheduling a blood drive at a local business, church, school or community organization, please call 423-224-5888 or visit www.marshblood.com
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death