DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. - A Virginia State Trooper is killed after being shot on Interstate 85 in Dinwiddie County.
Governor Bob McDonnell says 40-year state police veteran Master Trooper Junius Walker was shot while on duty Thursday afternoon.
Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller says Walker was shot multiple times around 1:30 p.m.
He called for backup, and a trooper who arrived within two minutes saw a man shooting into Walker's car.
The second trooper fired at the suspect, who ran into the woods.
The suspect was arrested before 2:00 p.m., charges are pending.
Geller says authorities are working to determine if another suspect was involved in the shooting, near the 45-mile marker.
"First there were some reports there may have been a second suspect, we've been looking into that and at this point we do not have a second suspect," Geller says.
A portion of the interstate remains closed while police investigate.
We've learned Walker is survived by his wife and two adult children.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon