MARTINSVILLE, Va. - Patrick Henry Community College has plans to create a five-member campus police force.
According to The Martinsville Bulletin, the school's board approved the plan on Monday with a unanimous vote.
The proposed force must first be approved by the Virginia Community College System and the state Department of Criminal Justice Services.
Gary Dove, Patrick Henry's emergency planning coordinator, said that the proposed force would include three security officers sworn in by the school, as well as two sworn in police officers.
According to Dove, 11 of the 23 schools in the community college system already have established police departments.
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program