MARTINSVILLE, Va. - Patrick Henry Community College has plans to create a five-member campus police force.
According to The Martinsville Bulletin, the school's board approved the plan on Monday with a unanimous vote.
The proposed force must first be approved by the Virginia Community College System and the state Department of Criminal Justice Services.
Gary Dove, Patrick Henry's emergency planning coordinator, said that the proposed force would include three security officers sworn in by the school, as well as two sworn in police officers.
According to Dove, 11 of the 23 schools in the community college system already have established police departments.
- Updated Washington County, Virginia man charged with rape of child
- New EPA, USDA announces initiative to help bring broadband service to Erwin
- Updated Previously missing Russell County woman found unharmed in Georgia
- Major decision expected Wednesday in relation to proposed Gray methadone clinic
- One dead, one seriously injured in Smyth County hit-and-run