MARTINSVILLE, Va. - Patrick Henry Community College has plans to create a five-member campus police force.
According to The Martinsville Bulletin, the school's board approved the plan on Monday with a unanimous vote.
The proposed force must first be approved by the Virginia Community College System and the state Department of Criminal Justice Services.
Gary Dove, Patrick Henry's emergency planning coordinator, said that the proposed force would include three security officers sworn in by the school, as well as two sworn in police officers.
According to Dove, 11 of the 23 schools in the community college system already have established police departments.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next