MARTINSVILLE, Va. - Patrick Henry Community College has plans to create a five-member campus police force.
According to The Martinsville Bulletin, the school's board approved the plan on Monday with a unanimous vote.
The proposed force must first be approved by the Virginia Community College System and the state Department of Criminal Justice Services.
Gary Dove, Patrick Henry's emergency planning coordinator, said that the proposed force would include three security officers sworn in by the school, as well as two sworn in police officers.
According to Dove, 11 of the 23 schools in the community college system already have established police departments.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect