The latest unemployment rates have now been released for Virginia.
Here's what we know -- the Virginia Employment Commission tells us the unemployment rate remained steady for august at 5.9 percent.
They tell us that's about half of a percentage point lower than last year.
Virginia's jobless rate is still below the national average of 8.1 percent.
Across the border in Tennessee the unemployment rates have now been released for August as well.
We've learned from the Labor and Workforce Development commissioner that Tennessee's unemployment rate rose slightly in August to 8.5 percent.
That makes the fourth consecutive month there has been in increase.
The Labor Department says unemployment rates rose in 26 states last month. Rates decreased for 12 states across America.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting