PETERSBURG, Va. - The U.S. Postal Service is issuing a civil war stamp depicting the 1864 siege at Petersburg.
A dedication ceremony for the new stamp is scheduled for Wednesday at the Petersburg National Battlefield.
The event is set to take place near the site of an underground explosion that took place 150 years ago and created a huge depression in the earth.
The explosion and resulting crater earned the skirmish the nickname the "battle of the crater."
The stamp is part of the postal service's commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the civil war.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting