PETERSBURG, Va. - The U.S. Postal Service is issuing a civil war stamp depicting the 1864 siege at Petersburg.
A dedication ceremony for the new stamp is scheduled for Wednesday at the Petersburg National Battlefield.
The event is set to take place near the site of an underground explosion that took place 150 years ago and created a huge depression in the earth.
The explosion and resulting crater earned the skirmish the nickname the "battle of the crater."
The stamp is part of the postal service's commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the civil war.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone