A rescue mission that began Tuesday in Wythe County, Virginia has now been closed.
Derek Anderson with Black Diamond Search and Resuce tells News Five a group of people entered a cave south of Speedwell, Virginia on the west side of U.S. route 21 Tuesday morning, and that one of the cave explorers ended up wedged in a part of the cave.
Anderson said local rescuers responded and were able to provide the person with medical care. She was alert and interacting with rescuers as they worked.
Various rescue teams responded, including the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, Speedwell volunteer fire department, Rural Retreat rescue and the Wythe County rescue squad.
- New Faculty respond to TBR's 'interim actions' taken at Northeast State Community College
- New Volunteers needed to build home for family in Unicoi County
- Greene County Workhouse women's choir lifting spirits
- Official: Trump to revoke transgender bathroom guidance
- YWCA helping girls get ready for prom