A rescue mission that began Tuesday in Wythe County, Virginia has now been closed.
Derek Anderson with Black Diamond Search and Resuce tells News Five a group of people entered a cave south of Speedwell, Virginia on the west side of U.S. route 21 Tuesday morning, and that one of the cave explorers ended up wedged in a part of the cave.
Anderson said local rescuers responded and were able to provide the person with medical care. She was alert and interacting with rescuers as they worked.
Various rescue teams responded, including the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, Speedwell volunteer fire department, Rural Retreat rescue and the Wythe County rescue squad.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial