WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. - The deadline for families to sign up for the Angel Tree or Christmas Assistance programs has passed.
All three Salvation Army offices have been busy accepting applications all week -- Friday was the last day for families to sign up.
We checked and the Kingsport office tells us they've had a bit more families than usual asking for help this year.
But both Bristol and Johnson City say they've had a low turnout. "Last year our households that had children in them we helped just over 900 in Washington and Unicoi counties. As of the end of Thursday we had 525 households come through and sign up. So we're quite a bit underneath that," said Captain Nick Garrison with the Johnson City Salvation Army.
For residents in Carter County, sign ups will be October 29th from 4-6pm. As well as, October 30th 9am-3pm at Oak Street Baptist Church in Elizabethton.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next