NASHVILLE, Tn. - Police say the assistant women's soccer coach at Cumberland University was killed in a crash on Interstate 24 in Nashville. Eric Susewind the 28-year-old coach died at the scene of the accident around 2:30 a.m. Sunday.
According to officials Susewind was heading westbound on I-24 when he struck the back of a pickup truck. After the impact his car came to rest sideways in a traffic lane, and was then struck on the driver's side by a tractor trailer.
The driver of the pickup, 20-year-old Juan Garcia received minor injuries. The driver of the tractor trailer, 58-year-old Greg Sears, was not injured.
Police said a preliminary investigation reveals a disabled vehicle in the roadway may have been a factor in the accident.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Updated Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake