JACKSON, Tenn. - Events are currently being planned to commemorate the 150th anniversary of famed railroad engineer Casey Jones' birthday on March 14.
This special event, intended to honor and remember the famed engineer, has been put together by director of the Casey Jones Home & Railroad Museum in Jackson, Lawrence Taylor.
Jones, a Jackson native, became well known for slowing down a Cannonball Express train before it could collide at full speed into a stalled freight train, preventing the death of his passengers, but losing his own life.
The celebration is set to include a variety of events including a presentation honoring Jones, old-time music and some educational activities.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next