BRISTOL, Tenn. - The Bristol race brings all kinds of people into town for the weekend.
The Tri-Cities' own Blake Leeper is also in town, and it's not just on the new magazine he is featured in.
He has the honor of waving the green flag to begin the race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Leeper is a medalist with the USA Paralympic Track & Field team. He calls Kingsport home.
He says he travels frequently, but it's always nice to come home.
"It's pretty special to me. I live in San Diego and travel around the world, but there's no place like home. Having my friends and family supporting me here in my hometown, so I really enjoy it," Leeper says.
He is trying to become the first American double-amputee to run in the Olympic and Paralympic games in Track & Field.
He has a few races before he'll try for Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- Updated Part of Bristol, Tennessee without water after water main break
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations