Authorities say an autopsy is planned on the body of a 3-year-old boy found on the porch of a North Carolina house a day after his birthday.
The Burke County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that a motorist called 911 on Wednesday saying a child appeared to be lying on the front porch of a Morganton home, about 75 miles northwest of Charlotte.
Deputies who found the boy's body said the front door of the house was open when they arrived. Sheriff Steve Whisenant said the boy's mother and her boyfriend were asleep in the house when officers arrived.
Temperatures were in the mid-20s early Wednesday.
The boy's name has not been released. No charges have been filed.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death