NORFOLK, Va. - A Norfolk, Virginia-based railroad company has a plan to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions in order to reduce its environmental footprint.
Norfolk Southern has outlined key initiatives in the program which include buying new, more fuel-efficient trains, increasing capacity of the company's major rail corridors, continuing research and development of alternative power, and recycling old trains by installing cleaner-burning engines.
The company says it has made progress toward its goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 10 percent between 2009 and 2014.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport