According to the Associated Press, ITT Exelis is laying off about 70 hourly workers at its night vision plant in Roanoke County. The layoffs are effective April 7.
ITT Exelis spokesman Tim White tells The Roanoke Times that demand for the company's night vision goggles and other products has dropped and that the layoffs aren't related to automatic federal spending cuts.
The company laid off about 200 workers at the plant last October.
White says the plant currently employs 716 hourly and salaried workers.
- Updated Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31
- Updated Tennessee's Education Commissioner visits local schools
- Updated Medical treatment of accused Volunteer Parkway shooter burdensome
- Updated Tropical Storm Hermine forms in the Gulf of Mexico
- New Trio accused of murder, burning body appear in court