According to the Associated Press, ITT Exelis is laying off about 70 hourly workers at its night vision plant in Roanoke County. The layoffs are effective April 7.
ITT Exelis spokesman Tim White tells The Roanoke Times that demand for the company's night vision goggles and other products has dropped and that the layoffs aren't related to automatic federal spending cuts.
The company laid off about 200 workers at the plant last October.
White says the plant currently employs 716 hourly and salaried workers.
- Red carpet rolled out in Bristol for the movie premiere of 'Believe'
- Rime ice caps area mountain tops just days after record highs
- Hundreds supported breast cancer at Tri-Cities Race for the Cure
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy