According to the Associated Press, ITT Exelis is laying off about 70 hourly workers at its night vision plant in Roanoke County. The layoffs are effective April 7.
ITT Exelis spokesman Tim White tells The Roanoke Times that demand for the company's night vision goggles and other products has dropped and that the layoffs aren't related to automatic federal spending cuts.
The company laid off about 200 workers at the plant last October.
White says the plant currently employs 716 hourly and salaried workers.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash