According to the Associated Press, ITT Exelis is laying off about 70 hourly workers at its night vision plant in Roanoke County. The layoffs are effective April 7.
ITT Exelis spokesman Tim White tells The Roanoke Times that demand for the company's night vision goggles and other products has dropped and that the layoffs aren't related to automatic federal spending cuts.
The company laid off about 200 workers at the plant last October.
White says the plant currently employs 716 hourly and salaried workers.
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program