BRISTOL, Tenn. - Wellmont Health System and Marsh Regional Blood Center will conduct public blood drives.
In a press release, organizers say blood donations are especially important in the summer because activities during this season tend to carry a risk for injury. They say donors with an O-negative blood type are particularly welcome, as their blood can be used for any patient.
The hospital and blood center say as many as three lives may be saved each time a person donates blood. They also say an individual's blood donation to Marsh Regional stays local to help people in this region. Marsh Regional supplies blood to 22 healthcare facilities in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
If you would like to donate blood, here are some things to keep in mind: individuals must be at least 17 years old, weigh 110 pounds or more and be in good health. People with a cold, sore throat, fever, flu or fever blisters or who are taking antibiotics may not donate. Donors should eat a balanced meal before giving blood.
Here's a list of the blood drive locations:
· Monday, July 29, 8 a.m.-noon, Holliston, Church Hill
· Monday, July 29, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Regions, Sunset Drive, Johnson City
· Tuesday, July 30, 6-10 a.m., Shearer's Foods, Bristol, Va.
· Tuesday, July 30, noon-6 p.m., Nuclear Fuel Services, Erwin
· Wednesday, July 31, 5 a.m.-noon, Nuclear Fuel Services, Erwin
· Wednesday, July 31, 8:30 a.m.-noon, Cherokee High School, Rogersville
· Wednesday, July 31, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Tazewell Community Hospital, Tazewell, Va.
· Thursday, Aug. 1, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., CenturyLink, Sixth Street, Bristol
· Thursday, Aug. 1, 8:30-11 a.m., Charter Communications, Kingsport
· Thursday, Aug. 1, noon-4 p.m., Bank of Tennessee, Wallace Alley Street, Kingsport
· Thursday, Aug. 1, 1-6 p.m., Food City, Wise, Va.
· Friday, Aug. 2, 8 a.m.-noon, Strongwell, Bristol, Va.
· Friday, Aug. 2, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Julia Davis Collection Center, Kingsport
· Saturday, Aug. 3, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Julia Davis Collection Center, Kingsport
· Sunday, Aug. 4, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., St. Dominic's Catholic Church, Kingsport
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin