Two Kentucky U.S. Representatives filed proposed legislation to require a federal study of the health effects of surface coal mining.
The measure also would stop all new surface mining permits while investigators review the health consequences.
Some say surface coal mining contaminates water supplies with heavy metals, making people sick.
Supporters say the legislation would provide families in mining communities with answers to questions about the potential health impact.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane