Two Kentucky U.S. Representatives filed proposed legislation to require a federal study of the health effects of surface coal mining.
The measure also would stop all new surface mining permits while investigators review the health consequences.
Some say surface coal mining contaminates water supplies with heavy metals, making people sick.
Supporters say the legislation would provide families in mining communities with answers to questions about the potential health impact.
- Tennessee general fund revenues beat projections by $159M
- Georgia firefighter dies after weekend accident on job
- Report: Suicides increase in Tennessee
- Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting