The governor of North Carolina is asking for a disaster declaration for people who suffered from flooding in Watauga County in January 2013.
Severe thunderstorms and flooding hit the area on January 30, and several areas around downtown Boone were under several inches of water.
A disaster declaration would make homeowners, renters and business owners eligible for low-interest loans to help them recover from the flooding.
Local and state emergency management teams surveyed the damage in early February.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting