The governor of North Carolina is asking for a disaster declaration for people who suffered from flooding in Watauga County in January 2013.
Severe thunderstorms and flooding hit the area on January 30, and several areas around downtown Boone were under several inches of water.
A disaster declaration would make homeowners, renters and business owners eligible for low-interest loans to help them recover from the flooding.
Local and state emergency management teams surveyed the damage in early February.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City