The governor of North Carolina is asking for a disaster declaration for people who suffered from flooding in Watauga County in January 2013.
Severe thunderstorms and flooding hit the area on January 30, and several areas around downtown Boone were under several inches of water.
A disaster declaration would make homeowners, renters and business owners eligible for low-interest loans to help them recover from the flooding.
Local and state emergency management teams surveyed the damage in early February.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial