The governor of North Carolina is asking for a disaster declaration for people who suffered from flooding in Watauga County in January 2013.
Severe thunderstorms and flooding hit the area on January 30, and several areas around downtown Boone were under several inches of water.
A disaster declaration would make homeowners, renters and business owners eligible for low-interest loans to help them recover from the flooding.
Local and state emergency management teams surveyed the damage in early February.
- Updated Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane