The governor of North Carolina is asking for a disaster declaration for people who suffered from flooding in Watauga County in January 2013.
Severe thunderstorms and flooding hit the area on January 30, and several areas around downtown Boone were under several inches of water.
A disaster declaration would make homeowners, renters and business owners eligible for low-interest loans to help them recover from the flooding.
Local and state emergency management teams surveyed the damage in early February.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day