MADISON COUNTY, N.C. - Heavy rains in Western North Carolina are causing flash floods, closing down roads throughout Madison County.
A giant sinkhole also opened up in the middle of Highway 213. Crews were working to rescue people from the rushing water; some were left stranded.
The Department of Transportation is checking bridges. They say debris could be clogged there, due to elevated water.
With more rain in the forecast, crews say they will remain on call.
- Person of interest identified in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Local overcrowded animal shelter fighting to avoid euthanasia
- More law enforcement agencies in our region looking to carry a lifesaving drug
- Norton clinic improving health for black lung patients
- Lowe's Heroes Project making improvements to Cherokee Elementary School