Virginia Tech biologists teamed up with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Tuesday to help replenish an endangered species.
They released 5,000 mussels into the Powell River. They are a fresh water species of mussels.
The Powell River runs through southwest Virginia and east Tennessee.
The mussels act as filters to purify waters.
The Powell River is home to 13 mussel species that are endangered.
- New Man with bladed gloves, clown makeup held in Denver stabbing
- New US Postal Service issues new Thoreau stamp at Walden Pond
- New Derby Day event raises $31,000 for hunger prevention programs in Greene Co.
- Philadelphia man who spent 24 years in prison is exonerated
- Wise County authorities search for missing woman