Avery County, NC - Heavy rains in North Carolina have caused a major mudslide in Avery County.
Authorities tell us the mudslide is about 250 feet long and around 75 to 80 feet deep.
Our news crews were on scene as more pieces of the road began to break off and fall down the cliff.
The hole in the highway consumes three lanes of traffic on the Elk Park Highway, and authorities say pieces of the road continue to fall.
All tractor trailers are being detoured down 19-E to Elk Park.
Authorities are asking everyone to please stay away from the area because the site is still active and dangerous.
39 inches of rain have fallen in Avery County since April.
- Pastor's wife charged with embezzling from church in Kingsport
- Four charged in Church Hill home invasion case
- FTC, Wellmont and MSHA speak in front of SWVa. Health Authority
- VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway
- Chelsea Clinton garnering young voters at Appalachian State University