Federal mine safety regulators say 18 miners have been killed on the job nationwide so far this year.
That's down slightly from 19 fatalities through the first half of 2012.
The Mine Safety and Health Administration said Wednesday, this year's fatalities include nine in coal mining, and nine in metal and nonmetal mining accidents.
One miner in each industry was a contractor.
Mountain States Health Alliance director Joe Main says the fatalities have one recurring element. they were preventable.
- Local overcrowded animal shelter fighting to avoid euthanasia
- More law enforcement agencies in our region looking to carry a lifesaving drug
- Norton clinic improving health for black lung patients
- Lowe's Heroes Project making improvements to Cherokee Elementary School
- Healthcare insurance rates to spike in 2017