Federal mine safety regulators say 18 miners have been killed on the job nationwide so far this year.
That's down slightly from 19 fatalities through the first half of 2012.
The Mine Safety and Health Administration said Wednesday, this year's fatalities include nine in coal mining, and nine in metal and nonmetal mining accidents.
One miner in each industry was a contractor.
Mountain States Health Alliance director Joe Main says the fatalities have one recurring element. they were preventable.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin