Federal mine safety regulators say 18 miners have been killed on the job nationwide so far this year.
That's down slightly from 19 fatalities through the first half of 2012.
The Mine Safety and Health Administration said Wednesday, this year's fatalities include nine in coal mining, and nine in metal and nonmetal mining accidents.
One miner in each industry was a contractor.
Mountain States Health Alliance director Joe Main says the fatalities have one recurring element. they were preventable.
- UPDATE: escaped UPS Lee inmates captured in Mexico
- Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting
- Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator