News 5 has learned the number of meningitis cases linked to a tainted steroid injection drug is growing and now it involves people in our area.
The Virginia Health Department tells us four people in Southwest Virginia have meningitis and one of them has died. Officials will not release the victim's name or tell us where they received their injection.
Meanwhile, three people are now dead from the same problem at a hospital in Nashville, Tennessee. At least 18 others there are sick.
There are also two patients in Florida and Maryland, and one in North Carolina.
The company that made the drug has been shut down as the FDA investigates.
None of the tainted medicine has been found in northeast Tennessee.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City