News 5 has learned the number of meningitis cases linked to a tainted steroid injection drug is growing and now it involves people in our area.
The Virginia Health Department tells us four people in Southwest Virginia have meningitis and one of them has died. Officials will not release the victim's name or tell us where they received their injection.
Meanwhile, three people are now dead from the same problem at a hospital in Nashville, Tennessee. At least 18 others there are sick.
There are also two patients in Florida and Maryland, and one in North Carolina.
The company that made the drug has been shut down as the FDA investigates.
None of the tainted medicine has been found in northeast Tennessee.
- New KISS concert in Manchester canceled after terrorist attacks
- New Tennessee governor signs NRA-backed metal detector gun bill
- New Former Texas nurse accused of killing dozens of kids in '80s
- UPDATE: Johnson County juvenile pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Muslim man sues Little Caesars over pizza labeled 'halal'