News 5 has learned the number of meningitis cases linked to a tainted steroid injection drug is growing and now it involves people in our area.
The Virginia Health Department tells us four people in Southwest Virginia have meningitis and one of them has died. Officials will not release the victim's name or tell us where they received their injection.
Meanwhile, three people are now dead from the same problem at a hospital in Nashville, Tennessee. At least 18 others there are sick.
There are also two patients in Florida and Maryland, and one in North Carolina.
The company that made the drug has been shut down as the FDA investigates.
None of the tainted medicine has been found in northeast Tennessee.
- Local recycling practices both benefit and cost their cities
- Johnson County woman recovering after vicious dog attack
- Law enforcement search for dangerous inmate that escaped from local jail
- Johnson City woman honored by Girl Scouts of the Southern Appalachians
- Johnson City Cardinals may break 20 year attendance record