WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) - A North Carolina man has died after he jumped from a moving cab to avoid paying the fare.
Winston-Salem police told local media that 41-year-old Michael Jason Curl of Hickory died from injuries he suffered when he jumped from a taxi early Tuesday.
Police said Curl worked at the Dixie Classic Fair and was headed back to the fair after a hospital visit when he refused to pay and jumped.
Investigators who found Curl's body thought he'd been struck by a hit and run driver.
Lt. Vincent Rega said investigators learned that Curl had tried to skip out on the cab fare. Police said the cab driver reported the skipped fare and drove on, not realizing how badly Curl was hurt.
Police said the taxi driver will not be charged.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Disney Animation, Pixar chief John Lasseter taking leave
- Homes with a heart: local United Way initiative offers shelter for families in need
- Parents urged to take a look at "Trouble in Toyland" report before Christmas shopping
- Mosheim's Blue Springs Lutheran Church added to National Register of Historical Places
- Derailed coal train had Michigan utility plant destination