Nearly 500 people in our area are now part of an historic cancer research study.
Residents in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia signed up at the beginning of the month to take part in a 20 to 30 year study. It will look at lifestyle, genetic and environmental factors that may cause or prevent cancer.
The previous cancer prevention studies by the American Cancer Society resulted in the discovery of the link between smoking and lung cancer and certain other lifestyle factors associated with increased cancer risks.
475 participants from our region will receive follow-up surveys every few years throughout the study.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane