Many parents buy small, cheap used cars for their teen drivers. Often, they are the most affordable option.
But the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says many of those cars are just not safe.
Car crashes are the leading cause of death for teenagers in the US, so the institute has come up with a specific list of safer cars for teenagers.
Copyright 2014 NBC News
- Updated Sullivan County man sentenced for child sex crimes in SW Virginia
- New Bristol, TN child rape suspect arrested
- WATCH: Ellen, Wal-Mart give scholarships to school's senior class
- Infant who survived in 1920s sideshow incubator dies at 96
- UPDATE: Carter Co. bank robbery suspect arraigned in court