According to the Associated Press, Star Scientific Inc. is being sued by a former shareholder who alleges that the company misled investors.
Francis J. Reuter's lawsuit also says Henrico County-based Star Scientific failed to inform shareholders in a timely manner about a government investigation of its securities transactions.
Star Scientific said in a statement to the Richmond Times-Dispatch that the allegations don't have any merit.
A Virginia Beach law firm filed the lawsuit on Reuter's behalf this week in federal court in Richmond.
The lawsuit alleges that Star Scientific misled investors about research on the potential health benefits of dietary supplements that the company sells.
Star Scientific says it stands behind its research, along with research conducted by third parties.
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia