Deaths of coal miners were down last year, compared to the year before.
Preliminary figures show 19 coal miners were killed on the job in 2012, compared to 21 in 2011.
West Virginia led the nation with seven coal mining deaths. The figures from the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration show Kentucky had four coal mining deaths, followed by Alabama with two.
Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Virginia each recorded one death.
- Local overcrowded animal shelter fighting to avoid euthanasia
- More law enforcement agencies in our region looking to carry a lifesaving drug
- Norton clinic improving health for black lung patients
- Lowe's Heroes Project making improvements to Cherokee Elementary School
- Healthcare insurance rates to spike in 2017