Deaths of coal miners were down last year, compared to the year before.
Preliminary figures show 19 coal miners were killed on the job in 2012, compared to 21 in 2011.
West Virginia led the nation with seven coal mining deaths. The figures from the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration show Kentucky had four coal mining deaths, followed by Alabama with two.
Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Virginia each recorded one death.
- Updated Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator
- Man with bladed gloves, clown makeup held in Denver stabbing
- US Postal Service issues new Thoreau stamp at Walden Pond
- Derby Day event raises $31,000 for hunger prevention programs in Greene Co.
- Philadelphia man who spent 24 years in prison is exonerated