Deaths of coal miners were down last year, compared to the year before.
Preliminary figures show 19 coal miners were killed on the job in 2012, compared to 21 in 2011.
West Virginia led the nation with seven coal mining deaths. The figures from the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration show Kentucky had four coal mining deaths, followed by Alabama with two.
Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Virginia each recorded one death.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- New Southwest VA school gets national recognition
- New Vance Middle School receives big honor
- New Joe Lasher Jr. playing benefit concert for Second Harvest