Deaths of coal miners were down last year, compared to the year before.
Preliminary figures show 19 coal miners were killed on the job in 2012, compared to 21 in 2011.
West Virginia led the nation with seven coal mining deaths. The figures from the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration show Kentucky had four coal mining deaths, followed by Alabama with two.
Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Virginia each recorded one death.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash