BOONE, N.C. - Boone, North Carolina police arrested two men they say tried to rob a man that thought he was making a Craigslist deal
Police say the victim was at the New Market Center to answer an ad on Craigslist about a cell phone. The victim told police that when he arrived, a man identified as Kevin Hash (pictured above) showed him a knife and demanded money.
The victim was able to get control of the knife, and that's police say when Kevin Hash left in a vehicle driven by Joshua Hash.
21-year-old Joshua James Hash was charged with attempted armed robbery.
17-year-old Kevin Floyd Hash was charged with attempted armed robbery and misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon.
Both Hashes are scheduled to be in court in September.
Police say this incident highlights the need to be cautious anytime you buy or sell items online. Here are several tips to help keep you safe:
- Never meet someone alone, always take a companion
- Do not carry large amounts of cash
- Be aware of your surrounding and stay alert
- If something seems too good to be true, it probably is
- Always meet in a public place
- Get as much information as possible about the other person before you meet including name and phone number(s)
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway