According to the Associated Press, searchers found the body of 26-year-old Corey Matthews in a cornfield off a gravel road near Cowan.
Sgt. Chris Guess with the Franklin County Sheriff's Office said after Matthews' family reported him missing Sunday morning, police decided to search the area around Cowan because Matthews was familiar with it.
Matthews' body was found about 2:30 p.m. Sunday.
Authorities declined to say how Matthews died, but said they were awaiting autopsy results.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect