KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Bluegrass guitar legend James Alan Shelton died this evening at Holston Valley Hospital.
He was 53.
Shelton was born in Kingsport and called Gate City, VA home.
He played lead guitar for the most legendary of bluegrass bands, Ralph Stanley's Clinch Mountain Boys.
Tonight we spoke with Stanley's grandson, Nathan Stanley, who confirmed Shelton's passing.
Stanley credits Shelton with teaching him how to play the mandolin and the guitar.
- New 'Aerial Adventure' ropes course opens at ETSU
- Confederate nurse honored more than 150 years after Civil War
- Gov. Haslam hosts Appalachian Regional Commission conference
- Multiple agencies search for escaped inmate out of Washington County, Tenn.
- Local recycling practices both benefit and cost their cities