KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Bluegrass guitar legend James Alan Shelton died this evening at Holston Valley Hospital.
He was 53.
Shelton was born in Kingsport and called Gate City, VA home.
He played lead guitar for the most legendary of bluegrass bands, Ralph Stanley's Clinch Mountain Boys.
Tonight we spoke with Stanley's grandson, Nathan Stanley, who confirmed Shelton's passing.
Stanley credits Shelton with teaching him how to play the mandolin and the guitar.
- New 7-foot-7 'Game of Thrones' actor Neil Fingleton dies at 36
- Seoul: 4 N. Korean spies involved in Kim killing in Malaysia
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday