KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Bluegrass guitar legend James Alan Shelton died this evening at Holston Valley Hospital.
He was 53.
Shelton was born in Kingsport and called Gate City, VA home.
He played lead guitar for the most legendary of bluegrass bands, Ralph Stanley's Clinch Mountain Boys.
Tonight we spoke with Stanley's grandson, Nathan Stanley, who confirmed Shelton's passing.
Stanley credits Shelton with teaching him how to play the mandolin and the guitar.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend