An asteroid named "2012 DA14" will pass by near Earth Friday afternoon. According to NASA, it will be a record close approach for a known object of this size.
It's closest pass will be at 2:25 pm EDT. It will be about 17,000 miles away at it's closest point. For reference, many weather satellites are about 22,200 miles above the Earth.
The asteroid will be traveling about 17,450 miles per hour or 4.8 miles per second!
You can track the asteroid by clicking here!
More fast facts here.
- New Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin