An asteroid named "2012 DA14" will pass by near Earth Friday afternoon. According to NASA, it will be a record close approach for a known object of this size.
It's closest pass will be at 2:25 pm EDT. It will be about 17,000 miles away at it's closest point. For reference, many weather satellites are about 22,200 miles above the Earth.
The asteroid will be traveling about 17,450 miles per hour or 4.8 miles per second!
You can track the asteroid by clicking here!
More fast facts here.
- Local police agencies offering drug take-back services Saturday
- Domtar announces reduced production at Kingsport plant
- Virginia voter registration deadline extended through Friday
- Updated Youth leaders in Bristol learn about tolerance
- Updated Grand jury set to hear case of man accused of sexual assault