An asteroid named "2012 DA14" will pass by near Earth Friday afternoon. According to NASA, it will be a record close approach for a known object of this size.
It's closest pass will be at 2:25 pm EDT. It will be about 17,000 miles away at it's closest point. For reference, many weather satellites are about 22,200 miles above the Earth.
The asteroid will be traveling about 17,450 miles per hour or 4.8 miles per second!
You can track the asteroid by clicking here!
More fast facts here.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport