Boone County, W.V. - Alpha Natural Resources announces it will idle an underground mine in Boone County, West Virginia, affecting around 160 workers.
We've learned the Alpha subsidiary Independence Coal's Justice Number 1 Mine will be closed.
Alpha says officials will meet with miners next week to discuss pay and benefits for the affected miners.
Alpha acquired the mine when it bought Massey Energy in June 2011.
The Boone County mine was also targeted for increased safety enforcement after The Big Branch Mine explosion.
Alpha cities low prices for steel-making coal as the reasons behind the closing.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting