Boone County, W.V. - Alpha Natural Resources announces it will idle an underground mine in Boone County, West Virginia, affecting around 160 workers.
We've learned the Alpha subsidiary Independence Coal's Justice Number 1 Mine will be closed.
Alpha says officials will meet with miners next week to discuss pay and benefits for the affected miners.
Alpha acquired the mine when it bought Massey Energy in June 2011.
The Boone County mine was also targeted for increased safety enforcement after The Big Branch Mine explosion.
Alpha cities low prices for steel-making coal as the reasons behind the closing.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City