Boone County, W.V. - Alpha Natural Resources announces it will idle an underground mine in Boone County, West Virginia, affecting around 160 workers.
We've learned the Alpha subsidiary Independence Coal's Justice Number 1 Mine will be closed.
Alpha says officials will meet with miners next week to discuss pay and benefits for the affected miners.
Alpha acquired the mine when it bought Massey Energy in June 2011.
The Boone County mine was also targeted for increased safety enforcement after The Big Branch Mine explosion.
Alpha cities low prices for steel-making coal as the reasons behind the closing.
- Local recycling practices both benefit and cost their cities
- Johnson County woman recovering after vicious dog attack
- Law enforcement search for dangerous inmate that escaped from local jail
- Johnson City woman honored by Girl Scouts of the Southern Appalachians
- Johnson City Cardinals may break 20 year attendance record