A 3-year-old died after falling into a grease pit at an Auburn ice cream shop Sunday afternoon.
According to the Lee County Coroner, a child was reported missing at Bruster's Real Ice Cream on East University Drive at 1:00 p.m. The child was missing for 5-10 minutes before she was found in a grease trap on the property.
Family members and employees of the ice cream shop immediately began CPR. The child was rushed to the hospital, but efforts to revive her were unsuccessful.
The coroner says video evidence shows the child playing with two siblings when she fell through a lid covering the grease pit.
No foul play is suspected and the death is being ruled an accidental drowning.
- Sam's Gap closed off as of 11:15 p.m. Saturday
- Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors give Christmas presents to their mentees
- Crews out in force to keep roads safe Friday
- Scott County woman plays role of Santa Claus; distributes hundreds of presents to kids in need
- Sheriff: Homicide victim identified in Hawkins County