Authorities are investigating after a 2-year-old Wilkes County boy shot himself with a gun he found in his parents' vehicle.
Sheriff's investigators tell local media outlets the child found a .380 semi-automatic handgun in the driver's side door pocket of his parents' truck and shot himself on Sunday afternoon.
The boy was struck in the chest and taken to a hospital.
The boy's mother told WGHP-TV (http://bit.ly/2mbge9M ) the gun had been in the truck because the child's father had to put down an animal on their farm. She told the station that her son was alert, talking and laughing.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police: Multiple officers injured after shooting in Georgia
- Science Hill parents react to news of former booster president stealing money
- Speedway in Lights illuminating the night sky for opening night
- Speedway in Lights: new light displays and old favorites
- Sullivan County breaks ground on new middle school; changes coming for Kingsport schools