The Bristol chapter of the Red Cross tells us they've helped victims of 11 fires since January 1, 2014.
That's the tally so far this year -- that's almost a fire a day.
The Red Cross provides some much needed items for families including a comfort kit, money for food and clothing, and providing them a place to stay.
And all of that takes donations. "We hope that the community will support us with funds. Sometimes it's after the fact that we have to go ahead and help, even though we might not have those funds in the coffers. We have to go ahead and help and then hopefully the community will support us with donations," Patty Tauscher, Disaster Manger, said.
If you would like to make a donation to the Red Cross, you can collect items that are needed for their comfort kits:
Comb or brush
The Red Cross prefers that these items not be travel size, as they would rather give items that families can share, such as a large shampoo or toothpaste.
- Updated Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator
- Man with bladed gloves, clown makeup held in Denver stabbing
- US Postal Service issues new Thoreau stamp at Walden Pond
- Derby Day event raises $31,000 for hunger prevention programs in Greene Co.