BRISTOL, Va. - Schools celebrated Read Across America Day on Friday.
The event is typically observed on Dr. Seuss Day; this year, that lands on Sunday, so some schools and child care organizations celebrated Friday.
Several people at News 5 participated in the events. Preston Ayres spent Friday morning reading with Pre-Kindergarten classes at Stonewall Jackson Elementary School; Rebecca Pepin read at Abingdon Elementary School; and Julie Newman read at Washington Lee Elementary.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day