(CNN) -- President Barack Obama told reporters Tuesday that he's proud of Jason Collins, the NBA center who came out as gay in a Sports Illustrated column this week. Obama said he has talked to Collins. "He seemed like a terrific young man. I told him I couldn't be prouder of him," Obama said. "One of the extraordinary measures of progress we have seen in this country has been the recognition that the LGBT community deserves full equality -- not just partial equality, not just tolerance, but a recognition that they're fully a part of the American family."
Popular now on WCYB.com
Around The Watercooler
- Ghost hunters mistaken for burglars
- Merriam-Webster's word of the year is ...
- Is Pope Francis sneaking out at night?
- 'Angel of 9-11:' Some see face in twisted wreckage
- Jesse Owens' medal bidding tops $200,000
- Colo. woman busted for topless haircuts
- Beloved, officially ugly dog dies
- Couple: Anti-gay note is a fraud
- Famous comet may be in trouble