RUSSELL CO., Va. - A police officer fires his gun in a Wal-Mart parking lot while trying to stop a fleeing fugitive.
News Five spoke with Lebanon Police Chief Mark Mitchell.
Chief Mitchell tells us the incident happened while officers were responding to a call about a person slumped over the wheel of their car in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
We're told the officer was talking with the suspect, Brian Nunley when he apparently sped away.
Chief Mitchell says that's when the officer fired his gun, hitting Nunley's tire.
Police were able to catch up with the suspect less than two miles down the road, when Nunley crashed his car.
Officers are still investigating.
We're told several charges are pending.
- Local police agencies offering drug take-back services Saturday
- Domtar announces reduced production at Kingsport plant
- Virginia voter registration deadline extended through Friday
- Updated Youth leaders in Bristol learn about tolerance
- Updated Grand jury set to hear case of man accused of sexual assault