RUSSELL CO., Va. - A police officer fires his gun in a Wal-Mart parking lot while trying to stop a fleeing fugitive.
News Five spoke with Lebanon Police Chief Mark Mitchell.
Chief Mitchell tells us the incident happened while officers were responding to a call about a person slumped over the wheel of their car in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
We're told the officer was talking with the suspect, Brian Nunley when he apparently sped away.
Chief Mitchell says that's when the officer fired his gun, hitting Nunley's tire.
Police were able to catch up with the suspect less than two miles down the road, when Nunley crashed his car.
Officers are still investigating.
We're told several charges are pending.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport