RUSSELL CO., Va. - A police officer fires his gun in a Wal-Mart parking lot while trying to stop a fleeing fugitive.
News Five spoke with Lebanon Police Chief Mark Mitchell.
Chief Mitchell tells us the incident happened while officers were responding to a call about a person slumped over the wheel of their car in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
We're told the officer was talking with the suspect, Brian Nunley when he apparently sped away.
Chief Mitchell says that's when the officer fired his gun, hitting Nunley's tire.
Police were able to catch up with the suspect less than two miles down the road, when Nunley crashed his car.
Officers are still investigating.
We're told several charges are pending.
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31
- Tennessee's Education Commissioner visits local schools
- Medical treatment of accused Volunteer Parkway shooter burdensome